I have been sitting on this news for a while (and slowly sharing bits and pieces with the Fallen World mailing list 🙂 ), and I’m so excited to finally share it with all of you!
When The Worlds We Make first came out, I couldn’t help reading some of the reviews (I’m always curious to see how readers respond). I noticed several people commenting that they wished they’d gotten more after the ending–about what had happened to certain characters’ whose fates we hadn’t seen, about what would happen next to others. I knew that Kaelyn’s story had ended in what felt like the right place to me, so I wasn’t tempted to write more of her journey, but the thought started to niggle at me: What about the rest of the characters? What tales would they have to tell? An idea sparked, and then another, and I found myself jotting down notes for three stories from the perspectives of Tessa, Drew, and Leo. And then I found myself writing those stories. And liking them.
And now I can share them with whomever wants to read them!
On December 2nd, as my early Christmas present to Fallen World trilogy fans, I’ll be releasing Those Who Lived, containing Tessa, Drew, and Leo’s stories, in both ebook and paperback format.
A collection of stories giving a new voice to three characters from Megan Crewe’s Fallen World trilogy, and a glimpse of life beyond The Worlds We Make.
“Carry the Earth” – When Kaelyn’s news about the vaccine stirs up unrest at the artists’ colony, Tessa struggles to protect the sanctuary she’s carefully constructed.
“Trial by Fire” – Drew tackles a new assignment that not only puts him at odds with his most vicious colleague and his life on the line, but may also determine the entire future of the Wardens.
“Water Song” – After he convinces a boy to leave his sick mother, Leo commits to helping the now hostile kid settle into life with the surviving islanders while confronting his own self-doubts.
The ebook is already available for preorder here. For the first three months it will be exclusive to Amazon, which means it should be available through the Kindle Lending Library and Kindle Unlimited programs from the release date as well. If you wish for a different ebook format, let me know so I can keep that in mind for after those three months.
The paperback should be available for preorder shortly via the same Amazon listing, as well as other Createspace channels.
Other information of interest:
1. When I say “short stories,” what I really mean is “shorter than a novel.” There’s a reason I don’t usually do short. 😛 Tessa’s story clocks in at about 40 pages in standard manuscript format and Drew and Leo’s at around 70 each. So this collection is only about a third shorter than the novels in the trilogy.
2. The books come not only with the stories, but also a full-page illustration of each character, done by my longtime friend Ludi Price, who I have been wanting to work with on a published book since she did some illustrations for an online story I wrote waaaay back in 2000. The pictures have turned out so well–I can’t wait for you to see them!
3. I have two paperback proofs of the book that I can offer to reviewers. These were early “drafts” of the paperback in that I was working out some of the formatting and cover options–the story text is exactly the same as the finished version, but they have a few formatting errors, the cover isn’t exactly the same, and they don’t include the illustrations. If you’d like one of those proofs in exchange for an honest review, please let me know, along with a link to your blog or Amazon/Goodreads reviewer account. The one essential criterion is that you’ve already read and reviewed the three books in the trilogy.
4. If you would like a signed and personalized copy of the final paperback, I can provide that for at a slightly higher cost than buying direct through Amazon. I’ll need to check the exact mailing costs once I have the finished copies, but based on my current estimates, to cover the cost of the books themselves (at my author discount + the shipping to me) and the shipping to you, I am guessing I’d need to ask for $11 in Canada, $15 to the US, and (if you’re really eager) $25 internationally. Comment here or email me if you think you’d be interested in that, which’ll help me decide how many copies to order in.
5. In case that isn’t obvious, because these stories are all set after the trilogy, they contain spoilers for all the major events through The Worlds We Make. If you haven’t finished the trilogy yet, I highly recommend that you do before reading these. But if you don’t mind being spoiled (or possibly confused–I don’t recap past events in a lot of detail since these weren’t intended to stand alone), feel free to dive in anyway!
Just two weeks until launch! So looking forward to hearing what you think. 🙂
I would love to have a personalized copy of Those Who Lived! I live in Canada but I will be willing to pay any price to have one! thank you for offering this!! 😀 so excited!!
Yay 😀 This new book sounds all kinds of exciting. <3 Congrats. And thank you for sharing about it 🙂